Heather White, Treasurer; Cathy Schnippering, President and Lynda Meredith, corresponding Secretary
2017 | 2016
2015 | 2014 pdf | 2013 pdf | 2012 | 2011 | 2010
2009 | 2008
2017 President’s Message
Over the past 27 years our volunteer administrated organization through dedication,
passion and expansive communication, has truly blossomed and fulfilled our mandate to develop widespread appreciation and support for the
arts in our community.
This PRAC team is the best team ever and I am honoured to be a part of this
fun and productive group. Here is a brief synopsis of what we have been up to
over the past year.
Newspaper: Our ArtScene run is 2700 and every two months we mail out
approximately 1700 and the remainder are distributed by hand by Elsie
Hetherman at various locations in Durham Region and beyond.
Website: Webmistress Mary Cook does a fabulous job keeping our sites up to
date and our members informed. Memberships and Juried Art and
Photography Show entries can be made on-line with payments through PayPal.
Check us out at www.pineridgearts.org and www.facebook.com/groups/pineridgearts
Activities During the Past Year:
• Organized our 17th Annual Juried Art Show at the McLean Community
Centre in Ajax resulting in 197 entries. Our Juried Show Chairs, Susan Brown
and Brian Smallman were instrumental in making this show another brilliant
success. Our placer Gwen Williams expertly positioned the artwork, our juror
Maurice Snelgrove chose 65 works to exhibit and on Opening Night we
proudly awarded $4,800 in awards to 16 winning artists in both adult and
Our 2017 Juried Art Show Opening will be October 27th.
• Held our 3rd Juried Photography Exhibition at the McLean Centre with Juror
Olex Wlasenko and Chairs Susan Brown and Brian Smallman.
Once again we were excited by the keen response of our photographic
artists and we were thrilled to give away over $2,400 in awards to 9 winners,
again in the adult and youth categories. Our 2017 Juried Photo Show will
open on May 4th.
• In addition, we also gave over $4,000 back to the community, both financially
and with in kind donations, by sponsoring member’s projects and
events – namely:
* Ajax Creative Arts Spring & Fall Shows * Artfest on the Esplanade * Durham
West Arts Centre Studio Tour
* Art Guild of Scarborough * Durham Philharmonic Choir * Kasibonika First
Nations Reserve * Latcham Gallery * Pickering Rotary Music Festival
* Pickering Teen Art Show * SPARK Ajax Children’s Juried Art Show * St.
Francis Centre * Station Gallery
• Partnered with the City of Pickering for the 18th annual Artfest on the
Esplanade where thanks to the generosity of an Enbridge Pipelines grant and
the expertise of organizer Mary Cook and our Youth Coordinator Janice
McHaffie, we were able to present for the third year, our “Mask Magic” youth
event. Once again this proved to be so popular we are going to repeat it on
May 27, 2017.
• Art in Public Places exhibitions were regularly maintained at: * McLean
* Ontario Power Generation Information Centre * Reeds Florists * Dentistry
on Liverpool and * Debbie’s Cafe
• Held another successful AGM/Arts Event at the Info Centre of Ontario Power
Generation in Pickering, where our Silent Auction, our Artful Draw raffle (thanks to
artwork donated by Hal Bilz), our art exhibition and our featured performers,
musicians Gary Faulkner, Cathy Schnippering, Glenda Varty and visual effects
artist Susan Reed made a fun and artful evening for all.
• The September, 2016 edition of ArtScene was the first paper in 22 years to
have 8 pages produced in colour resulting in many complimentary comments
by our readership and advertisers.
• We bought two new laptop computers to be used by our Juried Show Chairs
and our Graphic Artist Mary Cook for the many tasks and hours they spend on
We Wish to Thank:
• Ontario Power Generation, Pickering Nuclear for their generous hospitality for
once again hosting our AGM and for their continual support of the arts.
• The Whitby Brass Band Chamber Ensemble and Director H. Geral Murphy Jr.
who were our featured AGM performers this year.
• The City of Pickering for our monthly meeting space at the Recreation
Celebrating 28 years of serving the arts in Durham | 5
6 | PineRidge Arts Council • Annual General Meeting • April 2017
Complex and ongoing work to build a Performing Centre in Pickering.
• The Town of Ajax for the use of the McLean Community Centre for all our Art
• Mary Cook for her unceasing efforts in publicity, photography, graphic artistry
• Our Art in Public Places exhibition venues and facilitators Gwen Williams,
Robert Hinves and Gary Faulkner.
• Our special donors, advertisers and sponsors who support PRAC throughout
• Artist Shirley for donating her painting Garden in White for our Artful Draw
• Thanks to Pickering Library’s Saul Perdomo, Digital Project Leader, we now
have free access to those pesky ads at the top of the list you see when you
google a an organization or subject. The Ad Grant text is updated monthly to
highlight different member group activities in the region.
• Our loyal executive, committee people and volunteers whose aforementioned
dedication and passion make our Arts Council flourish.
~ and on a personal note: I wish to thank all the PRAC executive and friends
for their love and support. I am truly blessed.
Catherine Schnippering, President